BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Oh no! You've wandered into the Toy Box Dungeon and the door locked behind you! Explore the dungeon and ideally find a key so you can get out!

Use arrows to move. Made by me on 1/1/20 for the Toy Box Jam!

Cart #dollarone_toyboxdungeon-3 | 2020-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart Full Name: Toy Box Dungeon
Alias on Itch.io it was submitted under: dollarone
Cart Name on Lexaloffle: dollarone_toyboxdungeon

P#71652 2020-01-02 01:52 ( Edited 2020-01-02 04:00)

Cart #battlewing_alliance-1 | 2020-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my entry for ToyBoxJam 2019!

I kind of went broad with scope in terms of features so there's not much in terms of a "game loop" but plenty of neat graphical effects and mechanics and hopefully a bit of "fun". It's my hope that you find the overall concept of the game as striking as I did when making it.

Concept:

Humankind is at war with a hostile alien race called the Skrull.

The idea of this concept and prototype was that you would start off liberating the solar system from the Skrull invaders, and then seek out allies by liberating other alien races from Skrull oppression. They would then join you in an alliance and offer you better technology to upgrade your ships. As you go you would fight more and more titanic Skrull battlecruisers until you finally invade their space in the Gataxian system.

Fighter controls:
W/S - Move forward/backward
A/D - Turn squadron left/right
X - All fighters will fire their weapons

Z/X - For menu navigation (pico8 'O' button = 'z' on keyboard, pico8 'X' button = 'x' on keyboard)

P#71651 2020-01-02 00:25 ( Edited 2020-01-02 03:56)

Cart #flappy_boffin_advanced_danb91-2 | 2020-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

My submission for the #toyboxjam. This isn't your normal Flappy Boffin game. Not only can you flap, you can fire fireballs too! Watch out for the walls and flying enemies!

Controls

• Up -- Flap
  • X or Z -- Fire
P#71650 2020-01-02 00:21 ( Edited 2020-01-04 05:09)

Cart #monster_speeddating-0 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my entry for the ToyBoxJam 2019. Goal of the jam was to use only existing graphics, sounds and music to create something new. I made the game on the go because i was traveling a lot around christmas and NYE. For the jam, i wanted to make something nice with the monster sprites. I thought about what the monsters would do in their dungeon when no hero is around. And it had to meet my skill-level and scope, because i had so little time.
The jam was fun and i learned a lot :)

Cart Full Name: Monster Speeddating
Alias on Itch.io it was submitted under: Lu_Bu https://lu-bu.itch.io/monster-speeddating
Cart Name on Lexaloffle: #monster_speeddating-0#

10 monsters are late to the dungeon-speeddate-event! Help them find the group with the most monsters they like. Every monster is different and likes different kinds and colors of monsters. But chose quickly: Each monster has only 3 seconds to find the right group!

Select the groups with the up and down buttons and send the monster to the group with the X button.

The more monster they like, the more points you get.

Happy dating!

P#71645 2020-01-01 21:48 ( Edited 2020-01-02 10:15)

Cart #arcanenectar-0 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

ARCANE NECTAR

You have heard about the place that offers arcane nectar to those worthy. The nectar is said to change the life, and even the soul, of those who are able to find it. You've finally arrived at the place the fables speak of. Now all that's left to do is find the nectar.

CONTROLS

Arrows - Move
X - Interact
Z - Fly slowly

NOTE

This game attempts to run at 60fps, but if your computer isn't too good, it has trouble doing so in the web browser. Downloading a binary will help.

This game was made for Toy Box Jam 2019: https://itch.io/jam/toy-box-jam-2019.
On itch.io: https://dogsplusplus.itch.io/arcane-nectar

P#71643 2020-01-01 21:08 ( Edited 2020-01-01 21:28)

Cart #saucerinv_nosnibor28_20200101-0 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello and Happy New Year!

I'm new to PICO-8 but I've been dabbling with coding and game development for most of my life. So far, I'm really impressed with this platform and the community around it. I'm looking forward to creating and sharing with all of you!

Without further ado, I present my first PICO-8 cart. Thanks to @dw817 for the Applecart prompt/challenge! Little projects like this are a great way to learn and engage with the community.

Saucer Invasion is a game in which you shoot missiles at flying saucers. You can move the silo horizontally across the bottom of the screen and fire vertically at your foes. Your score for hitting a target is based on its height and speed, and there's a penalty for missing. The game ends when you run out of either time or ammunition. This is explained in a big ol' wall-o-text intro at the beginning, in keeping with the spirit of the original 1977 Apple ][ game that served as inspiration.

I put a lot of comments in the code but there could be more. The code is a bit sloppy, I'm sure, but I tried to keep it as simple as possible. I'm happy with how the sprites came out, but my sound composition could definitely stand improvement. (BTW, I love the PICO-8's retro sound! I could play around in the SFX editor for hours.)

Constructive criticism always welcome. Enjoy!

P#71636 2020-01-01 19:33

Cart #myrtlecity-0 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Myrtle Takes The City

My submission for Toy Box Jam 2019. Thanks to the organizers and content creators for putting together an awesome event!

Myrtle is visiting the big city, and wants to climb city hall! To get in, she needs to collect 7 gems. Maybe there are people in the city who can help?

How to play:
Arrows - walk
action key 1 (x, v) - run
action key 2 (z, c) - jump

There are not fatal hazards in this game, so don't be afraid to walk up to everything.

Feel free to post your best times, for both any % and 100%.

Thanks!
-PBG

Notes for launcher:
cart name: myrtlecity-0
alias on itchio: Myrtle Takes The City
itchio link: https://paloblancogames.itch.io/myrtle-takes-the-city

P#71637 2020-01-01 19:23 ( Edited 2020-01-01 19:27)

Cart #tuberias_ximo-4 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart Full Name: Toy Box Pipe
Alias on Itch.io it was submitted under: ximo https://ximo.itch.io/
Cart Name on Lexaloffle: #tuberias_ximo-4
I followed the optional theme FLOW

P#71630 2020-01-01 17:12 ( Edited 2020-01-01 22:35)

A not-entirely-canon demake of the game 'Zeewolf' by Binary Asylum.

Pilot your Zedwolf chopper across 6.5 km^2 of 3d open world environment, rescue hostages and repel the enemy force's attack!

epilepsy warning: contains strobe or flash effects

Cart #zedwolf-1 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Currently there's only one level and the cart will simply replay it once it's completed.
I hope to add another one in future, but I also wanted to get something out before the end of the decade, and I have.. 19 minutes (local time) to do that!

Controls:

Z: toggle landing gear up / down

X (while landing gear is down): throttle up
X (while gear is up): fire rockets

Arrow keys: move

Shift / W / Pause menu option: minimap & mission briefing

Repairing & refuelling
Find a repair crane and land nearby - there's one in your base!

Rescuing friendlies
You can find hostages and other folks in need of help dotted around the map. Land nearby and they will hop on board! Bring anyone you find back to your base (the yellow objective marker) to complete the rescue.

But be careful - if you are shot down or run out of fuel with passengers on board, you will not be able to rescue them! (ran out of tokens to fit that in, sorry)

Non violence mode
You will still get shot at, so it's not 100% violence free, but I wanted to include a less bloodthirsty way to complete a mission. Non-violence mode is active as long as you don't kill anything, and you don't get killed. You can complete the level by rescuing all friendlies on the map.
Once something has been destroyed, you will need to complete the main objectives to finish the mission.

And Happy New Year!

edit: I completely forgot to credit Allister Brimble as the original author of the music - the track in this game is a manual conversion of his Zeewolf 1 title track.

old versions:

Cart #zedwolf-0 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#71621 2020-01-01 04:40 ( Edited 2020-05-09 14:08)

Cart #tbj2019_democart-0 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the DEMO CART for Toy Box Jam 2019.

https://itch.io/jam/toy-box-jam-2019

The code is mostly atrocious, but on purpose -- it shows what sprite numbers to use and colors to change to make the most out of a limited number of sprites.

Enjoy the fine music by Gruber!

P#71620 2020-01-01 00:39

I discovered this while trying to reduce someone's not-quite-tweetcart, and I boiled it down to a simple repro case.

These compact lines both parse and function correctly:

x+=1y-=1
y+=1x-=1

But these don't:

x-=1y+=1
y-=1x+=1

Variable names don't seem to matter. I included versions with variable names swapped just so you know it's not the variable order at fault somehow.

Same thing happens both when executing editor/app code and at the shell prompt.

I tried on the BBS and the parser here isn't able to work it either.

I didn't try other operators, like *, /, or %.

Side note: On the same subject, would you mind adding ..= and ^= operators? I think that would make the set orthogonally-complete.

P#71615 2019-12-31 23:58 ( Edited 2020-01-01 00:05)

Cart #hanohehowu-4 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Use the arrow keys to move your ship and X to start/fire.
Press O to restart.

P#71603 2019-12-31 21:46 ( Edited 2020-01-01 05:06)

up
by dw817
Cart #up-1 | 2020-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(01-02-20) If you just want to see it in action, try out the cart above and examine the source-code. For a more detailed demonstration including compression, try out the cart below this.

by dw817
Cart #sccm-4 | 2020-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in Pico-8, in immediate mode type:

load #sccm

UPDATE (01-01-20) Removed all loose global variables.
UPDATE (12-31-19) Tightened code slightly.

The mapper for Pico-8 is a good idea, isn't it ? But maybe it doesn't cover all the space you need for all the levels you want in your game. Thus I have made (especially for Scrubsandwich) two useful functions.

One compresses map data to a 6-bit string.
The other decompresses map data from that 6-bit string.

And why would you use a string do you ask ? Quite simply so you can include it directly in your code.

To make use of the first function, STR=COMPRESMAP(H,V,X,Y)

Understand the 5-arguments used for this function:

1. Where H and V are the top-left hand coordinates of the map you wish to compress.
  2. Where X and Y are the number of tiles across and down for the map you wish to compress.
  3. Where STR is the string that is recorded to.

For instance if you wanted to compress mapper data starting from coordinates 0,0 to 15,15 and wanted to save it in the string called "ROOM" that would be:

ROOM=COMPRESMAP(0,0,15,15)

Room would then be a 6-bit string of about 214-chars. Less if there were less tiles in that area.

. . .

The 2nd function is DECOMPRESMAP(H,V,STR)

Understand the 3-arguments used for this function:

1. Where H and V are the top-left hand coordinates of where you will overwrite existing mapper data.
  2. Where STR is the 6-bit string that contains the mapper data you wish to overwrite at this position.

For instance if you wanted to decompress mapper data starting from coordinates 0,0 and wanted to use the 6-bit string called, "ROOM" that already contains the mapper data you want, that would be:

DECOMPRESMAP(0,0,ROOM)

Understanding that the SIZE of this map is already encoded in the 6-bit string and does not need to be entered later for decompression.

Thanks big to @merwok for considering using a function within a function. Works great and frees up the need to have true exposed global variables remaining after you compress or decompress.

ALSO important, forgot to mention. I am using the number 255 as a reference to compression so you CANNOT use sprite #255 in here if you want to maintain the compression. Nothing else is needed. You're still welcome to use all the sprites #0-254.

. . .

If you want to save the newly compressed 6-bit map string to your cart, in immediate mode type:

printh(t,"@clip")

Which will save it to your clipboard.

Then in your new cart, type out:

mapp="

(or whatever variable you want to create) with an opening quote. Press CTRL+V, then an ending quote "

Include the CHAR6 routine above and the DECOMPRES() function below and it's all you need !

And that's it. Feel free to try out this demo and examine the source-code to see how it was done. I hope you find these two functions useful and instrumental in your code.

Comments, Questions, Kerosene :) Let me know.

P#71599 2019-12-31 19:59 ( Edited 2020-01-02 17:47)

SOLVED: See @samhocevar's solution. Thanks everyone who contributed answers !

It's a pretty simple question that may not have so simple an answer.

Is there a way I can declare locally global variables inside a function.

By this I mean I define variables inside a function that meet two states.

1. The variable is seen for the first time and is therefore initialized with a new value.

2. The variable has been seen before and is NOT initialized but in re-entering this function it retains the same values it had before this same function was exited earlier.

I know I can simply declare global variables but what I wanted was to be able to retain values of simply named variables that might be just a single letter. Yet can only be seen and globally recognized by that local function.

Here is an example:

function _init()

word={"one","two","three"}

for i=1,#word do
  count(word[i])
end

end

function count(a)
localglobal n=0
  n+=1
  print(n.." "..a)
end

The results would be:

1 one
2 two
3 three

Understanding that the variable N inside the function of count() will have an entirely different value or no definition at all outside the function where it was not called or initialized.

Can this be done - or is there a kludge ?

P#71597 2019-12-31 18:53 ( Edited 2020-01-02 17:06)

Cart #alienrescuemission-5 | 2019-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Rescue helpless aliens from the moon!

This is my entry for the Toy Box Jam and my first game made with Pico8 ^_^

HOW TO PLAY:

• Use booster to ease your landing
  • Try to save as many aliens as you can in 120 seconds
  • If you save all of the aliens before time runs out, extra points are awarded

Let me know your best score in the comments ;)

P#71592 2019-12-31 15:51 ( Edited 2019-12-31 16:38)

Cart #duck_game-0 | 2019-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Leveraging some zeb demos to try things out as I learn.

P#71586 2019-12-31 05:44 ( Edited 2019-12-31 18:30)

Cart #lavajoe-0 | 2019-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My entry for Toy Box Jam. Keep climbing to avoid the rising lava. Collect treasure and take down monsters for bonus points.

P#71580 2019-12-31 05:02

Cart #roombanator-2 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Enjoy exploring the world of a vacuum cleaning bot :)

This is my entry for the toy box jam 2019. It took me way longer as expected but I'm really happy with the results :)

Launcher info:
Cart Full Name: Roombanator (Toy Box Jam 2019)
Alias on Itch.io it was submitted under: bttrs
Cart Name on Lexaloffle: roombanator

Itch.io link: https://bttrs.itch.io/roombanator

P#71559 2019-12-30 21:41 ( Edited 2019-12-30 22:19)

Cart #noob_dg-0 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My submission for the Toy Box Jam 2019.
Actually about one minute of dungeon crawling.

P#71557 2019-12-30 21:08 ( Edited 2019-12-30 21:11)

by dw817
Cart #mgst-1 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in Pico-8, from immediate mode type:

load #mgst

UPDATE (12-30-19): web address

Metal Gear Solid was an incredible and groundbreaking 3-dimensional stealth game for the Sony Playstation released in the states back in 1998. Not only was it an incredible and challenging game the graphics for its time were nothing short of miraculous if you didn't count Final Fantasy 7.

This then is my tribute to the opening story, where Snake has infiltrated the lower levels, made it to the elevator, reaches the top and is at a secret base in Alaska where he is contacted by CODEC which stimulates the small bones in his ear of his mission and target.

Metal Gear is a copyrighted product of KONAMI.

For more information on this company and this superb game, go here.

Please enjoy my Metal Gear Solid tribute, for the Pico-8 Fantasy Console system.

P#71552 2019-12-30 21:04 ( Edited 2019-12-30 23:12)
View Older Posts